Red Tractor is the largest food assurance scheme in the UK. Ensuring that the food you buy is traceable, safe to eat and has been produced responsibly from farm to fork!
What is Red Tractor assurance and why is it important?
Red Tractor is a food assurance scheme which covers production standards developed by experts on safety, hygiene, animal welfare and the environment amongst other things.
- We all want to know that the food we are buying is safe.
- This only comes from knowing where the raw ingredients come from and the standards to which they are produced.
- This is why all suppliers in the Red Tractor food chain are inspected and certified by an independent professional body.
- The Red Tractor certifies that food has been produced to independently inspected standards right across the food chain – from farm to pack.
Why buy Red Tractor Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork and Lamb from Green Gourmet?
Green Gourmet have long held a Red Tractor licence for its British red meat and poultry products.
Red Tractor is the largest food assurance sheme in the UK. Ensuring the food you buy is traceable, safe to eat and has been produced responsibly from farm to fork.
Over 41 of our Choice for Life product ranges for chicken, turkey, beef, pork and lamb has a Red Tractor license.
All meat and poultry served in schools, care homes, hospitals with a Food for Life award must be Red Tractor Assured or from a scheme recognised by Red Tractor.
Each Choice For Life product information sheet features the Red Tractor logo and an overview of what it stands for. By using Red Tractor your ensure your supply chain is regularly checked and approved.
Red Tractor can help you towards achieveing governement standards in the Plan for Public Procurement and a Food For Life Catering Mark.
How Red Tractor Assures Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Pork and Lamb from Green Gourmet?
Traceability Assurance – the flag in the Red Tractor logo tells you where the food has been farmed, processed and packed
Food Safety and Hygiene – Food given to Red Tractor animals on the farm is safe for them to eat, so there is no risk of contamination to the meat
Animal Welfare – Red Tractor standards make sure that our farmers are competent to look after animals, understand their needs and that the animal’s health and welfare is regularly checked. The Red Tractor logo means that animals have adequate space, and safe and comfortable housing or shelter. Red Tractor standards require that all animals have unlimited access to fresh, clean drinking water and are provided with well balanced meals. Livestock farmers must keep a written health plan and medicine records
Environmental Protection – Farmers under the Red Tractor scheme must use responsible farming methods to minimise pollution. This means making sure that pesticide and fertilisers are stored safely.
What are the standards behind the Red Tractor mark?
- The Red Tractor can only be used on food that has been produced, packed, stored and transported to Red Tractor standards.
- The standards in all farming sectors (such as chicken, dairy or vegetables) have been agreed by a panel of experts to ensure that the food is safe and that the animals are well treated.
What does Red Tractor Assurance do?
- Red Tractor Assurance sets the assurance standards that apply to the farm assurance schemes and to different links in the food chain like Green Gourmet.
- They actively manage the certification bodies that police those standards.
- At the point of packaging they define the conditions for the Red Tractor mark and license the packers who display it on their packs to ensure that the Red Tractor is only ever seen on food that is qualified to carry it.
How do I know where Red Tractor food comes from?
- By law, most food must be labeled with its country of origin on the label although this is not always easy to find.
- The Red Tractor logo includes a statement of origin in the flag device and when you see the Union Jack you can be sure the food has come from UK farms.
How many companies are currently allowed to use the mark on their food?
- There are currently over 78,000 Red Tractor farmers in the UK, and they sell their food to one of 350 Red Tractor packers licensed to use the Red Tractor on their packaging.
- Food companies like Green Gourmet, to a family-run salad grower or to large dairy processors, use the mark.
- Are you looking for ideas for Red Tractor healthy seasonal recipes?
- Are you trying to find certified food products to help you manage budgets, stock levels and menu planning?
- Would you like to achieve your Food For Life Catering Award Bronze, Silver or Gold?
- Would you like to order some samples or if you want to become a supplier, please contact us on email@example.com